Group chat is a fun form of texting all your favorite people to have time-saving and exciting conversations all at once. For iPhone users, group chat on the iMessage App is way more fun as the latest iOS update (iOS 15) has included links and content sharing via group chat. Besides, it has a multimedia feature that shows all your shared content (photos, videos, etc.) within the group as well.
In this how-to guide, you will know about the types of group chat and how to create and customize (add/remove recipients, mute notifications, etc.) a group chat on your iMessage App. So let’s start!
What are the Types of a Group Chat?
The iPhone’s built-in message app – Messages app, is designed to automatically decide the types of text that you receive on your iOS device. If you receive a text that is from another iOS device through iMessage then it is an iMessage text. But if you receive a text from other platforms (Android devices), then it is considered as a normal SMS or MMS. Simple as that!
According to Apple, there are three types of Group Texts. Among the types mentioned below, Apple only supports Group iMessages. That means you can create a group, start texting your loved ones all at once and customize the group chat as you want but only on the iMessage App, with the people using Apple devices. Before we dig into this matter, check out the three types of group chat and know from where you are receiving them!
1. Group iMessage
Group messages that appear in blue-colored bubbles are called Group iMessages. These messages are end-to-end encrypted and can be customized as giving names, adding or removing members, and in many other ways.
Members of an iMessage group can enjoy every iMessage App feature (sending audio, video, or photo messages, sharing locations, etc.) with the privilege to exit from the group anytime they want.
2. Group MMS
Group MMS appear in green-colored bubbles on your iPhone. Members of a Group MMS can enjoy multimedia features like iMessage group chat and also can mute notifications of the chat.
3. Group SMS
Group SMS also appear in green-colored bubbles. Members of a Group SMS can not access multimedia features – they can not send or receive photos, videos, or voice texts. Here the texts are also received individually by its members.
How to create a Group Chat on iPhone with the iMessage App?
In order to create a group chat on your iPhone with the iMessage app, you have to make sure of the following two things first.
- Your phone has iMessage turned on. If not, then go to the Settings app >> open Message >> turn iMessage option on.
- MMS is also turned on. To turn MMS on – open the Settings app >> open Message >> scroll down to find MMS Messaging under the SMS/MMS category >> toggle MMS on.
Now you are all set to open a group chat on your iPhone with the iMessage app. Follow the steps below!
- Open the iphone’s by default texting app – Messages.
- Tap and open the compose icon from the upper-right corner.
- Add people to your group by entering the names in the empty white box or search people on your contact list by tapping the ‘+’ sign.
- Type a message in the text box below and tap send to start the group chat.
How to create a Name for a Group Chat?
Creating unique names for individual groups will make you find the chat easily and quickly. But on iPhones, iPads, or iPods, it is possible only with a group iMessage. A group chat of SMS or MMS won’t allow you to edit or customize the group name or picture.
To create a name for a group chat:
- Open the Messages app.
- Open the group chat you want to create a name for.
- Tap the group profile picture from the top-middle.
- Open info >> change name and photo.
- Enter the group name in the space. You can also set a profile picture for the group there. Select any picture from your camera, gallery, emoji or letters with background colors.
- After you have entered a name and picture, tap Done.
Now your group name and profile picture is saved and you can find the group easily.
How to Mention Someone in a Group Chat?
With iOS 14 launched, Apple has made mentioning members on iMessages possible for users. Now you can mention your group members by indicating them individually on iMessage. Just type ‘@’ in the text box and group members’ names will appear as a list. Then click on the name of the member that you want to mention the text to. simple!
- 15 Best Texting Apps for iPhone or iPad
- 15 Best Texting Apps for Android
- How to Hide Text Messages on iPhone? 5 Easy Techniques!
How to Add Members to a Group Chat on iPhone?
If you want to add members to an existing group chat on iMessage, then follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Open the Messages app then open the group chat that you want to add members to.
- Once the chat window is opened, tap on the group profile picture on the top middle and right.
- Tap on info and scroll down to find the add contact option.
- Enter the contact of the members or find them on your contact list tapping on the ‘+’ sign.
When a new member is added to an existing iMessage group chat, he or she won’t be able to view the previous chats of that group but will have all the access to the newer ones.
How to Remove Members from Group Chat on iPhone?
With the iMessage app, adding or removing group members is made easy. That’s why it is one of the best and most convenient ways to have potential conversations for iOS users.
To remove someone from an iMessage group chat:
- Open the Messages app.
- Open the group chat where the member is added and you want him or her to be removed from the group.
- Once the group chat window is opened, tap on the group profile picture on the top-middle.
- Tap on info and there you can see all the group members.
- Swipe left on the member you want to remove from the group chat.
- Tap on the Remove option.
After you remove someone from an iMessage group chat, the person will be notified that he or she has left the conversation.
How to Mute Notifications of Group Chat?
Group chat is fun, but getting excessive texts sometimes makes you feel annoyed. In this case, you can mute the notifications of a particular iMessage group chat on your iPhone in two methods. Know them below!
To mute notification of an iMessage group chat:
- Open the Message app.
- From the home page, swipe left on the group chat that you want to mute.
- Press on the Hide alerts option.
The alternative way:
- Open the Message app.
- Open the group chat that you want to mute.
- Open the info page of the group chat.
- Scroll down and find the Hide alerts option.
- Enable Hide alerts for that iMessage group.
How to Leave a Group Chat on iPhone?
When a group conversation gets way too irrelevant and annoying, leaving it is the best option. Therefore, Apple has made leaving a group chat easy on iOS devices, unlike Android devices. Here’s how!
To leave an iMessage group chat:
- Open your Messages app.
- Tap the group chat you want to leave.
- Open its info page and scroll down.
- In the bottom, you will find the Leave this Conversation option.
- Tap on the Leave this Conversation option and confirm yourself to get removed from the group chat.
That’s a Wrap!
If you are an iPhone, iPod, or iPad user, you can make the best feature experience out of your built-in Messages app via iMessage while not needing any third-party apps to have group conversations with your loved ones. I hope now you know all that you needed to know about iMessage and its iOS 15 update. So get started to create and customize a group chat on your iPhone right now and happy texting!
- How to Add Someone to A Group Text on Android
- How to Text Someone who Blocked You
- How to Name A Group Text on Android and iOS (Easiest ways)
- How to Forward Text Messages on Android
- How to Remove Someone From A Group Text on Android (Helpful Hacks)