Writing articles, essays, or any long-form texts is not an easy task. And when you have to concentrate on what your lecturer is saying and taking notes at the same time is way more difficult. Frequent writing also makes us tired and our fingers become numb. What if we can just say what we want to type and our phone writes it for us? Even if we ask Siri to take notes or to send a quick text in order to write long-form texts, Siri is not suitable. And that’s why transcription apps exist.
Transcription apps are generally built with AI-enhanced speech-to-text conversion technology that can automatically convert what a human voice is saying into texts. Using a transcription or speech-to-text converting app, iOS users can automatically transcribe their voice into texts in order to write articles, essays, long-form documents, lengthy texts, and more.
As there are many speech-to-text transcription apps available, which one should you choose? To answer this query, in this article we will introduce the 10 best transcription apps from the Apple app store. We will mention each of the app’s best features, pros and cons, ratings and reviews, and pricing criteria for in-app purchasing offers. We will also provide a guide to choose the best transcription app for your iPhone and iPad in the later part of this article.
10 Best Speech to Text Transcription Apps For iPhone and iPad:
- Otter: Transcribe Voice Notes
- Dictation – Speech to Text
- Transcribe – Speech to Text
- dictate2us Record & Transcribe
- Just Press Record
- Call Recording by NoNotes
- Rev Voice Recorder & Memos
- Voice Dictation – Speechy Lite
- Evernote – Notes Organizer
- Day One Journal: Private Diary
So without a further delay let’s start with Otter, our top pick among the 10 best transcription apps.
Otter is an automated, AI-powered meeting notes transcriber, best for taking notes from your Zoom, Meet, or other meetings. With Otter you can fully concentrate on your meeting as it takes the notes for you, it also includes important highlights, actions, photos, and attendees’ info as well. The Otter: Transcribe Voice Notes app takes and records your every day meeting notes, voice texts, lectures, and more in real-time and makes them easily searchable and shareable.
- Live recording and transcription: voice is transcribed into texts in real-time with high accuracy while online.
- Easily searchable and shareable meeting notes with key features highlighting options.
- External audio inputting system via Bluetooth or the built-in mic.
- Voice is recorded in one tap including widget and shortcut features.
- Available scroll back option in case you miss a point.
- AI-powered notes with accurate punctuation, identifiable speakers, and generation of keywords for quick search.
- Team collaboration: invite team members to view notes, edit and highlight.
- Manual text edit option in order to correct silly errors.
- The best part of the Otter: Transcribe Voice Notes app is, that all of its features work perfectly and users find it very easy to use.
- It supports multiple file sharing and exporting formats such as sharing via external links or social media and exports the text file as a PDF, TXT, SRT, or MP3 format.
- Another best thing about Otter is, that you will never miss a single sentence from the meeting. If you accidentally lost some words or sentences you can scroll back to that point and relook. In fact, you can even search by keywords and find what was lost.
- As Otter is an AI-powered tool, sometimes it can’t understand the correct word and write the wrong one in that place.
- Due to different accents and background noises sometimes its accuracy goes down.
Otter is the most rated transcription app on the app store, solely designed for iPhone and iPad. It has more than 23K ratings in total with an average of 4.8 out of 5 stars. Otter is currently trending at #107 in the productivity category.
Otter is free to download and its basic apps are free to use as well. Otter offers one in-app purchasing plan which is: Otter Pro costs only $12.99/month or $99.99/year.
Dictation – Speech to Text is one of the best transcription apps on the app store. Dictation is solely made for converting voice memos into texts and is capable of translating them into any language. With Dictation, you do not need to type a single word anymore as it can dictate, record, translate and transcribe human voices into texts. Its advanced speech-to-text recognition technology does all this work for you in seconds. Check out its best features below:
- Supports 40 dictation languages by the speech to text tech, language configuration is also available from settings.
- Custom specified translation language from the app setting for 40 languages.
- Records audio and files are saved on the Files app.
- Audio file transcription: transcribes any audio file into text in a minute.
- Automatic synchronization with iCloud.
- Easy shareable text via social media.
- You can use the Dictation – Speech to Text app on your iPhone, iPad, Mac, or even on your Apple Watch as well. Transcribe speeches into text no matter wherever you are.
- No dictation time limit is enforced by the app. Therefore you can use this app for a long time.
Users have claimed that the latest version of the Dictation app is not as accurate as of the previous one. This might happen due to a bug on the iOS 15 update.
Dictation – Speech to Text app gained more than 1.4K total ratings and an average of 4.5 out of 5 from users on the app store.
There is one in-app purchasing plan offered by the Dictation – Speech to Text app, which costs $6.99 per month or $17.49 if paid annually. Downloading the app is free with no dictation time limit.
Transcribe – Speech to Text is another cool transcription app for iPhone that works as your own personalized AI assistant for transcribing videos or voice memos into texts. If you are more into reading notes than sitting through whole online lectures again and again, then Transcribe is the best app for you. You would no longer need to hear your voice memos or review the interviews again when you’ll have all of their notes in your hand. Even if you want to translate a foreign language video or create subtitles for a movie, Transcribe does these all for you.
- Automatic transcription of any video or voice memos.
- Supports more than 120 languages and idioms.
- Import files to the app from any app or dropbox.
- Transcribe Pro: export files as PDF, TXT, DOCX, and SRT files, sync unlimited files (size up to 50GB), and get 5 hours of extra transcription for free per month.
- Free of ads.
- Transcribe is a time savior. This app saves you from sitting hours in an online class by transcribing video memos into texts.
- You can use this app on your macOS as well along with your iPhone or iPad.
- You can watch movies made in any language with the help of Transcribe. It can translate more than 120 languages. In addition, it can create subtitles for you as well.
- Exporting files as PDF, TXT and other formats is not free on the Transcribe app. However, on the Otter app, you can get this feature for free.
- Not good for transcribing long Zoom or Skype interviews.
Transcribe is rated 4.4 out of 5 on the app store with more than 250 user ratings.
You can get a monthly subscription to Transcribe for $12.99 only, or $99.99 if you pay annually. However, the Transcribe: Speech to Text app offers hourly transcription purchasing plans as well starting from $4.99 for one-hour transcription to $29.99 for 10 hours of transcription. This app is free to download.
dictate2us is the world’s leading transcription and dictation service provider, served by a team of 1200 human office-based transcribers. They are capable of transcribing your files in just an hour, but you can choose how many hours you need your audio files transcribed. The dictate2us app is designed for iPhone and iPad, capable of recording audio and transcribing into texts 24/7.
Using the dictate2us app you can record reports, interviews, case notes, and more without paying a single penny. Then send your edited audio files to dictate2us, you will get the best transcription service from them. Their team will accurately type and make your audio files transcribed into text errorless.
- Easy to use: just record and save your audio files on the dictate2us. Then upload it to the dictate2us transcription platform. Get your file transcribed by a professional transcriber typist. Receive your file as a Microsoft Word Document via email.
- Error or formatting issue correction by editors.
- Advanced proofreading in order to ensure accuracy.
- Accepts online payment through credit or debit cards.
- Quickest human transcription service.
- State-of-the-art data security with daily hack-test and military-grade encryption system.
- Audio files are transcribed by humans, so with dictate2us, you do not have to worry about the accuracy.
- You’ll receive your audio files extremely quickly. As soon as you upload it to the transcriber platform, the dictate2us team starts the transcription process.
- dictate2us does not charge you per word, rather you pay for per minute of your file. And this is fairly acceptable on both ends.
It is hard to state a con about dictate2us, an app that is so perfect, but you may sometimes get slow support for transcribing your files.
The average rating of dictate2us is 4.8 out of 5 on the app store which is very high even if it has got only about 420+ total ratings so far.
The dictation2us app has no in-app purchasing plans and is completely free to use. However, having your audio files transcribed will cost you $2.02 or £1.55 per minute.
Just Press Record is another great audio recording and transcribing app made for iPhone and iPad. This app allows you to edit your recorded audio or transcribed files within the app, sync them to all your devices through iCloud and start a new recording totally hands-free with Siri. One cool fact about the Just Press Record app is, that you can get it on your Apple Watch as well. Therefore you can capture every moment of your life with it.
- One tap recording system: start, stop, pause or record within a tap, start a new record using the Siri shortcut.
- Supports discrete recording from the background.
- No time limit for recording.
- Play with adjustable playback speed.
- Supports 30+ languages for transcriptions.
- Easy shareable audio, text, and video files to social media and other apps of iOS.
- Organize and store your files in one place, and sync all devices through iCloud.
- The best benefit users get from the Just Press Record app is that they can organize audio or transcribed files on iCloud by naming and ordering them as well. This app displays your organized files on its dashboard from your iCloud account.
- As this app is also available for Apple Watch, it can be a great companion for you to record and transcribe anything, anytime.
- Transcription accuracy is not great.
- No shortcut to open the app by the iOS Control Center.
- This app is not free to download.
Just Press Record has got 4.2 out of 5 ratings on average from 1.1+ total ratings on the app store. In the utility category, it is currently trending at #24.
The Just Press Record app has no additional in-app purchasing plans. Just pay $4.99 first to download the app.
Call Recording by NoNotes is basically a call recording app that has an option to transcribe your recorded audio files into texts. You can easily record a call of any length and from anywhere in the world with the Call Recording by NoNotes app. Once you sign up/in to the app with your phone number and email, you are all set to use the app and start getting your audio files transcribed by the Call Recording by NoNotes team. You just have to send your audio files for transcription and to do that you can utilize the option of sending after you record audio using the app.
- 20 minutes of free call recording per month with additional subscription options.
- iCloud storage: save recordings on iCloud.
- Options for using other dictation apps.
- Sharable files through FaceBook or email.
- Transcription option with 100% guaranteed satisfaction.
- 100% money-back guarantee if you purchase a subscription plan and are not satisfied with the app. So you can stay relaxed and try this app for recording calls and transcribing them.
- The Call Recording by NoNotes team provides fantastic customer care service, here you get help 24/7.
- The Call Recording by NoNotes app works in the USA.
- It is more like a call recording app than a transcription app.
Call Recording by NoNotes has gained more than 860 ratings in total which comprise 4.5 out of 5 average ratings on the app store.
Call Recording by NoNotes has a subscription plan that costs $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year. The subscription is cancelable anytime and your money is refunded anytime. You get 20 minutes of free recording per month if you download the app which is free as well.
Make unlimited free voice recordings and get them transcribed by professional human typists with the Rev Voice Recorder & Memos app. All you just have to do is place an order for transcription directly from the app and it’d cost you the lowest for transcription per minute. The best thing about the Rev Voice Recorder & Memos app is, that you get your files transcribed with an accuracy of 99+ and quickly.
- Unlimited high-quality voice recording and playback for free.
- Automatic Dropbox backup: sync your recordings on Dropbox.
- Quick transcription turnaround time.
- Human transcription: get more than 99% accuracy.
- Supports importing recordings from other apps.
- Name, view, trim, and search options for recorded files.
- The Rev Voice Recorder & Memos app is very easy to playback recordings and sends them for transcriptions.
- Rev has a strong team that provides 24/7 customer care service.
- You can purchase only the credit you need as the Rev Voice Recorder & Memos app offers multiple purchasing plans for multiple credits.
- The copy and paste feature is unpredictable and doesn’t work properly.
- Rev also provides an automated transcription service but choosing this option from the app is not available.
The Rev Voice Recorder & Memos app has achieved an average of 4.1 out of 5 ratings from more than 970 total ratings on the app store so far.
There are a few in-app purchasing plans based on credits by the Rev Voice Recorder & Memos app which start from $1.99 for 1 credit and end at $149.99 for 100 credits. You can also buy 10 or 30 credits for $16.99 or $47.99 respectively. The app offers free download and recording options. For transcription by humans, it takes $1.25/minute and by automated speech recognition tech, it costs $0.25/minute. The Rev Voice Recorder & Memos app is free to download.
Voice Dictation – Speechy Lite is another best transcription app for iPhone and iPad that provides powerful and real-time dictation solutions using AI and state-of-the-art speech recognition technology. Using this voice dictation app your audio files will be transcribed into texts accurately. You can even record your voice and get it transcribed immediately. The Voice Dictation – Speechy Lite app also lets you share your audio files with social media or emails. It supports 88+ languages, both local and global, and growing more to translate languages to your local language as well.
- Continuous voice recognition for an unlimited time.
- Simultaneous voice recording with immediate playback option.
- Easy shareable text and audio files through social media.
- Direct editing options for transcribed files. Customization of adding vocabularies is also available.
- The best thing about Voice Dictation – Speechy Lite is it can translate more than 88 global and local languages. So if you travel to a foreign country or watch a foreign movie, this app can be a great help by translating their languages to yours.
- This app can transcribe your lengthy audio files even if it’s about 20 minutes or longer and cost you less than other apps.
- Some phrases can not be recognized by the speech recognition system and the app does not mark the unrecognized places rather it keeps transcribing.
- Dictation turns off, the app gets frozen, and does not hold backups if a call or alarm rings on the device at the time of dictation.
With a total rating of 2.2K+ the Voice Dictation – Speechy Lite app has gained 4.6 out of 5 on average, which can be considered a very good achievement of an app on the Apple App Store.
Voice Dictation – Speechy Lite offers an auto-renewing subscription plan that costs $4.49 per month. However, you can download the app for free and use its basic features.
Evernote is an incredible tool for organizing all your notes in one place. This app is best for syncing all your devices, tackling your to-do lists, creating schedules, quickly viewing relevant information on the dashboard, and connecting events on your phone’s calendar. Although Evernote does not convert speech into the text itself, it can collaborate with your iPhone for voice transcription. Just tap on the microphone icon from your iPhone’s virtual keyboard and start saying what you want to write about. Your words will appear as texts on the screen, then keep the note safe on Evernote.
- Easily searchable notes and to-do lists for capturing every idea.
- Add any contents such as text, doc, pdfs, and more as notes.
- Supports camera scans to organize hard copy documents as soft copies.
- Powerful searching option.
- Advanced scheduling integration with Google Calendar.
- Syncs documents from all your connected devices.
- When you have got your important meeting notes by transcribing them from your speech, you need to keep them safe and organized. Evernote can be the best place for this task. Using this app, you can keep notes, and tackle your schedules and to-do lists very easily.
- You can search for the important info whenever you need it as Evernote provides an accurate searching service even if your notes are scanned from the camera.
- Evernote is not actually a transcription app but it can be used to save your transcripted files safely.
- Many users complained that the app crashes after the latest update on iPhone.
Evernote has gained 37K+ ratings in total with an average of 4.4 out of 5 on the app store. It is trending at #103 in the productivity category as well. Evernote is one of the most downloaded apps on the iPhone.
Evernote app is free to download and use its basic features. This app offers several in-app purchasing plans starting from $2.99/hr for Evernote Plus features. Evernote personal features cost the most which are $7.99/month or $69.99/year.
Day One is generally an awesome app for journaling which provides some exclusive features for voice recording. It has a voice transcribing option as well but the features for voice recording and transcribing are not free. The Day One Journal: Private Diary app works as your own digital diary and lets you discover new ways to capture memorable parts of your life with it. You can keep this app in your pocket or wear it on your wrist as it has versions for your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch.
- Unlimited text entries with powerful text formatting options.
- Privacy protection by end-to-end encryption tech.
- Voice recording, transcribing, unlimited photos, videos, and more to bring life into your journals.
- Filters for adding tags and highlights with advanced search filters.
- Built-in speech recognition technology for better transcription experience.
- Automated audio clips recording option.
- Reminders for daily journals.
- You can enter any type of information into your daily journal using the Day One Journal: Private Diary app and get a map view to geolocate what happens where.
- If you are looking for a transcription app, this can do that for you as it has a speech recognition system in-built.
The Day One Journal: Private Diary app offers free entries for texts, not for voice recording or transcriptions.
Day One Journal: Private Diary is the most rated app for journaling on the app store totaling more than 71K ratings with an average of 4.8 out of 5.
There are three in-app purchasing plans offered by the Day One Journal: Private Diary app which is – 1. Premium subscription: $3.99/month or $34.99/year, 2. 300 text messages: $4.99 and 3. 50 text messages: $0.99.
Can an iPhone do transcription?
Yes, you can do transcription on your iPhone using Siri whenever you need. But how? There are a few simple processes – Just wake Siri up, use a notepad like Evernote and start speaking. Siri will transcribe your voice into texts. However, in terms of transcribing long articles, real-time lectures, meetings, or interviews using a transcription app is the best option.
Is live transcription free on iPhone?
Live transcription is certainly not free on iPhone. It basically depends on the app you are using. Generally, a transcription app costs around $4.99/month or $49.99/year for automated live transcription. In addition to that, if you want your audio files transcribed by humans, they will cost you around $2 per minute.
We have some suggestions before ending this article. Firstly, we have mentioned 10 apps that provide transcription services and are highly rated by iOS users. Secondly, each app is unique in its own features and advancements, however, there are some common aspects like accuracy, transcription type and time, sharing capabilities, monthly or yearly charges, refund system, and voice recording system. These are the main areas that you must carefully look into before choosing the best transcription app for your iPhone.
Lastly, which is the best transcription app for iPhone in our opinion? Well, we have several apps which actually stand out in their own dedicated services. We will summarize it below!
- If you want to transcribe your live meetings, interviews, or online lectures in real-time, choose Otter: Transcribe Voice Notes.
- If you want your audio files to be transcribed by a professional human typist you can choose any app from dictate2us Record & Transcribe or Rev Voice Recorder & Memos. dictate2us costs slightly more than Rev but transcribes files quicker.
- The Day One Journal: Private Diary app can be a great transcription app for you if you want to keep every memorable thing of your daily life in a form of a journal.
That’s it from our side. Please feel free to leave a comment and share your thoughts below.
- The 7 Best Police Scanner App for iPhone in 2023
- 10+ Most Interesting iPhone Users and Sales Statistics in 2023!
- 10 Best Apps for Booking Cheap Flights in 2023
- 8 Best Passport Photo App for iPhone in 2023